Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Panera-Isms

I love my job.. okay maybe not love... but I enjoy my job on most occasions. A main part of the reason I love my job is because of the customers who come in. Alot of the regulars always have a smile on their face, which makes me want to smile sincerely, instead of the 'grin and bear it' Panera Warmth. Alot of the people who come in are unique to Ann Arbor, and you'll understand once I start to tell about them. ;)

There's the older gay couple who comes in. They are hilarious guys. They come early on the weekends and late on the weekdays. They're out there with their love. They both have handicaps, but i don't believe either of them is mentally disabled. They remind me of my dad because they always have on a good amount of jewelry. They're not ostentatious about their orientation, which makes it easier for me. I can just tell because I've been exposed to the undercover homo's most of my life. They wear rainbow bracelets and just have certain things that I recognize as pride symbols. And on top of that, they're really nice guys.

Next up is our lesbian couple. They come in every weekend and get breakfast. They're cute. I'm not absolutely sure who has the more masculine role, but I have ideas. One of them always gets the same thing, and the other will switch it up. I think i like them so much because they are funny and they like to laugh. Even if they're not having the best days, they still have a smile on their face, or a joke.

Luigi* is in every morning, rain or shine. He rides his bike, sometimes his son comes with him. His order NEVER changes. He always gets a medium soda, a cinnamon crunch bagel and a cinnamon chip scone. He actually steps inside the store and we've got it ready in under 30 seconds. Of course if there's a line he has to wait anyway, buts okay. He is really nice, as is, his son. Before classes started back they would eat breakfast together and read the paper. It's nice to see that kind of a connection in families in this day and age.

There's an older guy who comes in everyday and gets the same thing with little change. He gets a bowl of soup (mostly French Onion, every once in a while Broccoli Cheddar) and "brown bread" which means whole grain baguette. I didn't know that the first time, and gave him a plain baguette and he brought it back up to me and asked for brown bread. I figured out what he meant.

There's also the "2 sugar" latte lady, the oatmeal cookie on Sunday guys, Pam's guy, the mother of two that i'd like to suffocate, McHott-Arms-Man, Mr. Bike Jerk, Apple Store guy, and what is Panera at the Colonade without Passion Fruit Bagel Bunch Lady. I'll tell you guys about these ones later. ;)

No comments: